Greetings STEM Ambassadors Wales Hub
This year has been another incredible step in the success of the STEM Ambassador programme. Our team of STEM Ambassadors in Wales has grown from 1590 to 2100 in the past 12 months. As a result your reach and impact has led to superb engagement: recording access to STEM Ambassadors in Wales are
- 100% Secondary Schools
- 62% Primary Schools
- 84% FE Colleges
370 STEM Ambassadors delivered STEM activities with ‘non school’ groups such as Guides, Scouts, Cubs, Brownies and at Science Fairs with family events.
Your efforts and dedication have supported young people, families and teachers alike, in accessing a free resource, a rare facility these days.
2018 begins with further STEM Ambassador requests as below. The new STEM Ambassador Digital Platform will also enable you to view your new design STEM Ambassador profile and an area for online requests.
Wishing STEM Ambassadors a happy, healthy and joyful New Year
DVLA Code Challenge Finals
The finals of the fantastic Code Challenge competition were held on November 28 at DVLA Centre in Swansea: http://dvlacodechallenge.dvla.gov.uk
The day was an X-Factor for Primary Coding Champions – voting for the winners was by a live link to schools - ensuring that the audience had the final say!
Hosted by BBC Wales Lucy Owen the event final welcomed 27 Primary Schools from North, South East and West Wales. I was honoured to be one of the Judging panel, Code Club Regional Office Adam Williams filtered the huge number of entries down to a final 5 Schools.
Teams selected one of 4 themes from Saving the Whale from pollution, Anti Bullying, Cycle Safety and a World without Cars. They developed a video game along the theme.
Scheduled to perfection, all pupils were entertained during the day by outdoor exhibitions from the Fire, Incredible Oceans, Road Safety Police, Army,
DVLA (Swansea) have a team of 30 STEM Ambassadors all of whom were actively involved in the mentoring of schools or took supporting roles coordinating the day. Without this exemplary team the day could not have been possible.
The event was masterminded and brilliantly directed by STEM Ambassadors Karen Pitt and Mark Jones. Comments and photos on this amazing day found here #DVLACodeChallenge
Winners of the finals were awarded monies for IT equipment:
1st £3000 Usk Church in Wales Primary School
2nd £2000 Our Lady and St Michael Primary School
3rd £1000 Ysgol Y Berllan Deg
£750 Newton Primary School and Gwyrosydd Primary School
Best Competition Video Ysgol Bro Gwydir
Beach Ball Bingo Winners:
17 Schools won Lego Mindstorm EV3 Kits, Raspberry Pis and BBC Micro:bits
Prize Draw Winners:
27 Schools and Community Groups won Lego Mindstorm EV3 Kits, Raspberry Pis and BBC Micro:bits
- Over 60 Schools across Wales entered the competition.
- Over 180 children and 150 Adults attended the RLDC on the 28th November.
- Over 1700 people joined the live link across Wales to watch the event.
- Over 600 votes cast for the entries on the day.
All 250 pupils at the finals went home with gifts and Lego Mindstorms for every attending school. An online prize draw provided for schools not able to attend.
Hot off the press: this exciting story continues for DVLA STEM Ambassadors and schools in
Fruits of a STEM day: Apples Workshop with Ken Matthews in Brymbo
STEM Ambassadors, particularly novices, often ask about creative ideas to deliver a relevant and practical session. There are many well-developed resources online, but here is one worth a read to inspire you!
Ken volunteers at Brymbo Heritage and presented an Apple pressing workshop at St Mary’s VA CIW School.
“The Primary school in Wrexham requested us to be part of their science week. 28 children attended supported by 2 teachers and STEM Ambassadors from Brymbo Heritage Orchard, James Boardman, Ian Mclean and myself, Ken Mathews. Ken set up a series of activities all connected to science and maths. The children counted the apples, divided them into 40 sets then each group of 7children:
1. Weighed the apples
2. Cleaned the apples
3. Scratted them
4. Juiced them
5. Tasted the juice
6. Bottled the Juice
7. Pasteurised the juice
All the data was later collated and analysed in the class room.
They designed labels for juice containers and drew some of the apples.
They all enjoyed the day - and the juice - and will be planting trees in the Brymbo Orchard.”
STEM Ambassadors in the Public Eye
It is with great pleasure that we see the achievements of STEM Ambassadors in the public domain. Here are some recent good news items:
Alice Gray Public Relations and Science Communication blogger was profiled on ITV Wales with her Science Fixers programme.
Alice was interviewed on ITV Wales news, footage can be seen here: https://youtu.be/k6Q4gI7va_Q
The Programme is in the process of conveying this footage for the wider STEM community of teachers and STEM Ambassadors
Dr Bill Lockitt Strategy Policy Director at G2G Communities was awarded Most Dedicated STEM Ambassador for North and Mid Wales
Bill has been a key provider for innovative projects in the region. His comments were typically modest ‘I am extremely pleased that the work undertaken by G2G Communities CIC throughout North Wales has been recognized’. ‘We have a team of dedicated staff working on a number of innovative projects to highlight the opportunities of Science, Technology, Engineering, Art and Mathematics (STEAM), not just in North Wales but World Wide’. Working with a wide range of partners G2G Communities CIC will continue to push the boundaries of STEAM in some of the highest areas of deprivation in Wales’.
STEM Ambassador Stephen Pickles awarded Wales Apprentice of the Year. Stephen is a trainee Production Technician and recently completed an apprenticeship at global engineering and scientific technologies company, Renishaw. He won 3 Categories in this highly competitive field:
- Best 3rd year apprentice
- Best Manufacturing Apprentice
- Outstanding Apprentice of the year.
“To be named the best apprentice in Wales is a fantastic achievement for Stephen and also recognises the work of our staff who have mentored him since he joined our Miskin facility near Cardiff. As well as his project and academic achievements, Stephen is also one of our 130 STEM (science, technology, engineering and mathematics) Ambassadors who help young people to develop their STEM skills. As part of this role, he runs activity sessions and has supported the Big Bang Fair Wales and Greenpower electric car competitions. Outside of work, he promotes the value of an engineering apprenticeship at his scout group to inspire young people into engineering” Simon Biggs Education Officer Miskin
STEM Ambassador Susan Jones named in The Manufacturer magazine Top 100.
Susan was one of their 20 Exemplars in the Top 100, and awarded under the categories of:
- An inspiring leader
- Driver of cultural change
- Unsung hero
Oldcastle Primary STEM Week starring STEM Ambassador
STEM Ambassador Jacqui Murray, works with the STEM Ambassador programme to source STEM Ambassadors and site visits for all pupils during STEM Week in November.
6 STEM Ambassadors delivered practical sessions including
- Alun Armstrong: Design and Build
- Jon Laver: Engineering and Electro magnetism
- Mark Smith: Astronomy and Forces
- Cardiff School of Neuroscience
- Cardiff Museum Geology
- Myself: Electrolysis and Chemistry
Oldcastle School's STEM week has been praised by Estyn in their report. Teacher feedback is consistently high:
“Thank you so much for attending our STEM week yesterday. The pupils had a fantastic time. Thank you for the hard work you put into organising and delivering your sessions.
I hope we can work together again next year on STEM 2018”
Teacher Katie Coleman
open to all STEM Ambassadors across Wales
Lab in a Lorry tours through Wales.
One of the most popular and well supported activities. Travel expenses are offered for distances hard to reach.
STEM Ambassadors are trained on the experiments before the session .All STEM Ambassador backgrounds are welcome. You will be working with a team from Lab in a Lorry alongside other STEM Ambassadors. www.labinalorry.org.uk
||11 & 12
||St Brigid’s School, Mold Road, Denbigh, LL16 4BH.
||16 & 17
||St Teilo’s School, Circle Way East, Cardiff, CF23 9PD
||23 & 24
||Ysgol Glan Y Mor & Ysgol Botwnnog, Ffordd Caerdydd, Pwllheli, LL53 5NU
30 - 1
|Crickhowell High School, New Road, NP8 1AW
||Ysgol Bro Gwaun, Heol Dyfed, Fishguard, SA65 9DT.
||Week of 13th
|Hub event at Bangor University.
||20 – 23
||Ysgol y Berwen & Ysgol Moelwyn, hub event at Bala.
Brampton Abbot Primary STEM Week. Ross on Wye HR9 7FX. 5 – 10 March.
Teacher Holly Field will be grateful for STEM Ambassadors in Wales to support her school with visits during Science Week. The school is in the rural border area. They hosted a STEM Ambassador from Wales recently and are very keen to welcome more!
Any topic / workshop / interesting session will be valuable.
Barefoot Computing support
Regional Coding Coordinator from the ERW is working with Barefoot Computing to help support their work for the Welsh Government’s “Cracking the Code” project. Barefoot will provide workshops to the schools across Pembrokshire, Carmarthenshire, Swansea, Ceridigion, Neath Port Talbot and Powys. Isy Grainger Project Coordinator would be pleased to hear from STEM Ambassadors interested in supporting the workshops firstname.lastname@example.org
Mid Wales Girl Guiding Cymru Science Week. Mon 12 - Thursday 15 March 2018.
Broneirion Llandinam SY17 5DE.
Leader Jo Woodall is planning a week based on STEM for next year's Guides Week. The sessions will run from 10am - 2.30 pm each day. Jo would welcome STEM Ambassador vitals during the week to offer a session. A session would run for 50 minutes. 15 pupils per workshop. Pupils will be KS2. For female STEM Ambassadors who would like to help for the 4 days they can offer accommodation expenses. If you would like to support I will place you in contact with Jo.
Powys 2018 Careers Festival. 7 March 2018 Royal Welsh Showground, Builth Wells.
STEM Ambassadors /Employers are welcome to attend with a stand or practical activity at this well supported event. To register for space please contact Jo Shiel: email@example.com There will be an opportunity to sponsor the event this year, if you are interested please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
1. Cardiff. Science Cafe: talks or general attendance at Cardiff evening meetings Science Cafe Cardiff @SciCafeCardiff Sri Ponnusamy welcomes STEM Ambassadors to give a short talk or just to attend in support at Science Cafes Cardiff. Meetings at Porters Bar Bute Terrace CF10 2FE, for a social gathering first Tuesday evening of each month. for the price of a cup of coffee or a glass of wine, anyone can come to explore the latest ideas in science and technology.
2. Penarth. Beavers District Science event. March 3rd 2018.
Toria Thomas is seeking volunteers and/or good ideas that could support Beavers district science badge on March 3rd. Beavers are 6-8 years old.
They plan to run a series of stations during the day covering a variety of science experiments and experiences. It can be any aspect of science. If a STEM Ambassador or two could run a session that would be fantastic.
Toria can be contacted during work time on Tuesdays, Thursdays and Fridays at 029 2076 9077 on email@example.com or outside these times on 07939 894250.
3. Lab in a Lorry 16 and 17 January St Teilo’s School, Circle Way East, Cardiff, CF23 9PD One of the most popular and well supported activities. Travel expenses are offered for distances hard to reach. STEM Ambassadors are trained on the experiments before the session .All STEM Ambassador backgrounds are welcome. Pupils are KS3 level . You will be working with a team from Lab in a Lorry alongside other STEM Ambassadors. Travel expenses on offer To find out more: www.labinalorry.org.uk
4. Webinar session with Careers Advisors. Careers Wales Office 27 High Street Merthyr Tydfil CF47 8DP. Date to be set with Ambassador. Kiara is requesting a STEM Ambassador to deliver a ‘webinar’ session. The aim of the session is to offer Schools Careers Advisors an insight into your work, focussing on your career path, what your job involves and what type of STEM background a pupil would need to follow your profession. The session would be an hour long, timed for 3pm onwards. If you can offer support please contact me.
5. Cardiff. Rivers, Waterways and Similar. St Pauls Primary Grangetown CF11 7EU. Dates of your choice. Teacher Matt Wilson is very keen to host STEM Ambassadors with sessions on Rivers, Geology of Waterways and similar topics. Pupils will be Year 6 (10 yrs old) 6. Cardiff Springwood Primary CF23 9LS. STEM week. March 12 – 17.
Teacher Catherine Rees is keen to host STEM Ambassadors
They have a varied timetable (details on request) They would like to cover
☐ Exploring of medical equipment.
6. Cardiff – Bridgend area. Work experience sought. Yr 12 pupil is seeking a physics related work experience placement or opportunity for a topic to include in his Welsh Bacc. The pupil is particularly keen on research environments.
☐ Engineering activities, i.e. constructing bridges and simple structures.
☐ Exploring different areas of science – psychology, astronomy, physics.
☐ Examining fossils.
☐ Physics or Chemistry investigations.
Pupils are Foundation and KS2
7. Newport. Rhiwderin Brownie group Science / Engineering session.. Any Wednesday 5.30pm – 6.30pm. Pack leader Sam is seeking STEM Ambassadors (particularly female) for a visit to their group. They would love to hear your career story. If you can bring something interesting for them – a demo or activity that would be great. I will forward offers to Sam.
8. Newport. St Woolos Primary School. Teacher Abi Watkins is seeking support for these topics. Abi will arrange any dates suitable to your availability:
Foundation, Yrs 1 and 2 – any STEM activity
Yrs 3, 4 and 5 Chemistry topics
Yrs 5 and 6 Body and Bugs
9. Newport. STEM Club visits or out of school visits. St Patrick's RC Primary School NP19 0NR Lindsay Smith is seeking Ambassadors to visit Yr 5 & 6 pupils in their STEM Club. They can accommodate most days any time from 9am – 3pm.
New ideas of enriching the curriculum experience are welcomed.
Topics studied are:
If you can suggest any other topic Lindsay would be pleased to hear from you.
They are also seeking places to visit such as museums, galleries and universities.
10. Newport, Bassaleg School Careers Evening Thursday 1 February 2018. Newport NP10 8NF. Year 9 and Sixth Form pupils attend this event. STEM Ambassadors have been a key support to the success of the evening. A small stand or exhibit would be ideal. For more information or to attend I will place you in contact with Pat Williams.
11. Ebbw Vale. Inspiration event Ebbw Vale Sports Centre Blaenau Gwent NP23 6GL 2 February 8.30am – 3pm.
The event is for Year 9 pupils – with a focus on promoting STEM. A variety of local employers are attending to promote opportunities within pharmaceutical industries, electrical and mechanical engineering We 500 students attending the event and organisers are keen to have a variety of STEM Ambassador activities ‘have-a-go’ activities for pupils to engage with.
12. Caldicot. Exploration and Discovery Days 9 - 16 March 2018 Ysgol Y Ffin Caldicot Newport NP26 4NQ Seeking 2 STEM Ambassadors:
Foundation Phase pupils: Welsh speaker any topic relating to STEM
KS2 English or Welsh session (Space Weds 14 March) any other theme rest of the week
My contact is school governor Liz Neal firstname.lastname@example.org - you may copy me into a message
13. Caerphilly After school or lunchtime Club visit (Welsh medium). Ysgol Gymraeg Trelyn. Caerphilly NP12 3ST. Liz Owen is eager to host STEM Ambassadors. KS2 pupils are covering topics on Playing with Physics (yrs 3/4) and Energy Light & Sound (yrs5/6) If you can offer a one hour session 3.30 -4.30 or a lunchtime visit I will place you in contact with Liz. Any dates next term will be great.
14. Caerphilly. Science topics detailed below. Waunfawr Primary Crosskeys Caerphilly NP11 7PG. Flexible dates next term. Teacher Joanne Cueto is seeking STEM Ambassador sessions on any of the following:
Marvellous Me, Under the Sea and Curious Castles Nursery - Yr2
Planets and the solar system, Textiles and ‘How my body works’. Year 3 Year 4
Bridges, Forces and the Winter Olympics, Healthy living and Food. Year 5 Year 6
15. Caerphilly. Forces, Food Chains, Habitats, Life Cycles, States of Matter. Cwm Ifor Primary CF83 2PG Any Tuesday – Thursday. Teacher Andrew Rowlands is seeking sessions for his pupils on these topics:
Yr 2: Life cycles
Yr 2: Forces
Yr 6 States of Matter
Yr 6 Food Chains /Habitats
16. Crickhowell. Mad Science January 8 – February 9. Crickhowell Primary NP8 1DY.
- Teacher Sue Jones request a session for Yrs 5 / 6
- The topic runs from January 8th - February 9th - any dates can be arranged
- Approximately 30 pupils per class
- Session is meant to stimulate the pupils in showing STEM as an engaging inclusive activity
17. Crickhowell. 30 January – 1 February Lab in a Lorry Crickhowell High School, New Road, NP8 1AW One of the most popular and well supported activities. Travel expenses are offered for distances hard to reach. STEM Ambassadors are trained on the experiments before the session .All STEM Ambassador backgrounds are welcome. Pupils are KS3 level . You will be working with a team from Lab in a Lorry alongside other STEM Ambassadors. Travel expenses on offer To find out more: www.labinalorry.org.uk
18. Crickhowell. Science Fair. Sessions and / or Judging March 12 and 13 (day of choice) Crickhowell High School NP8 1AW.Two requests for this event:
- Circus of workshops for Yr 7 and 8. A one hour session on any STEM topic. The session would be repeated during the day.
- Science Fair Judges: pupils will be displaying their work in the evening. STEM Ambassadors are sought to Judge the projects.
19. Caerphilly. STEM Club visits Ysgol Y Castell. CF83 1WH Teacher Lowri Davies runs a STEM club on Monday lunchtime. Visiting STEM Ambassadors have made a great impression on the pupils and teachers. Lowri would welcome more visits on any Monday. Sessions are 30 – 40 minutes and any topic can be covered. A small demonstration would be welcome, they are happy to extend the pupils’ experiences. English or Welsh medium.
20. Caerphilly GCSE Sport and Science. Rhymney Comprehensive Rhymney NP22 5XF.Teacher Alex Strong is seeking STEM Ambassador support. GSCE pupils studying Physical Education will be covering topics such as physiology, nutrition, sport equipment and all related topics. Dates are flexible. A session with a talk, practical demo or activity will be welcomed.
21. Barry. Primary STEM Club Cadoxton Primary Barry CF63 2JS. Teacher Hannah Cogbill takes a STEM Club every Tuesday 3.30 - 4.15pm. STEM Ambassadors would be valuable to lead any topic and STEM activity session. All Ambassadors welcome to enthuse and inspire her pupils.
22. Penarth. Bring Science and Maths to Life. Headlands Special School St Augustine’s Rd CF64 1YY. Flexible dates as suit Ambassadors. Teacher Kevin Farrow is seeking STEM Ambassadors for his special needs pupils. Pupils are aged 14 – 19yrs working at KS 3 – 5. Applications of science / maths in life with a workshop, hands on session would be brilliant. STEM Ambassadors should note that pupils have emotional, social and behavioural needs
23. Cardiff. Careers Fairs. STEM Ambassadors representing their Employers / Career are invited to join these events:
- 19 January 10am – 2pm St Teilo’s School Cardiff CF23 9PD Yr 9,10 and 6th Form pupils
- 1 February 4.30pm – 6.30pm Corpus Christi School Cardiff CF23 6XL Yr 9.10 11
24. Cardiff City Football Stadium. 2 March 10am – 2.30pm Apprentices at Work event.
High profile event with 60+ employers, providers and colleges attending all of which offer Apprenticeships. Every High School in Cardiff and the Vale of Glamorgan attended last year with Year 11 and 6th form leavers being targeted.
25. Cardiff. St Peters Primary Roath CF24 3SP. STEM sessions / site visits. Teacher Phil Ryan is very keen to build on recent visits by STEM Ambassadors and to local industries. Flexible on dates to suit Ambassadors. Phil would like to hear from any STEM Ambassador or group of Ambassadors who could offer a session or company visit. Pupils are mainly Year 4.
26. Cardiff. Lansdowne Year 5 Primary Science Canton CF5 1JY Teacher Karl Redding is keen to host a STEM Ambassador session. Topics can be anything from Space - Nature - Human Body - Engineering and the World around us. The session / workshop can be from 1 hour to half day as suits your session
27. Cardiff. Rhydypenau Primary Llanishen CF14 0NX. Product Design, Invention. Human Anatomy. Teacher Clarissa Brind is seeking different expertise sessions for her pupils. Year 3: Human anatomy, digestive system, bones, blood. Year 6: Invention and Product Design. If you can assist with either please contact me.
28. Pengam. Computer Science applications. Lewis School Pengam Bargoed CF81 8LJ. Teacher David Eyles is seeking STEM Ambassadors to offer sessions, talks or workshop on Computer Science. He is flexible on dates. A large number of pupils are keen on gaming, programming and general application in careers. Please contact if you can support.
29. Tonypandy College. Video Link Session with Yr 9 pupils. Flexible dates to suit STEM Ambassador. Adam Rayson is seeking STEM Ambassadors to take part in a video link Q & A session with pupils. Webcam / podcast / skype optional. Adam would like a session covering your research / work / careers.
30. Merthyr College, Merthyr CF48 1AR. STEM sessions Wednesdays 1.15 – 3pm any dates September – December. Tutor Mark Richards is seeking STEM Ambassadors (Engineers / Science / Maths) for talks or workshop activities. The aim to enrich and inspire pupils in the wider range of STEM careers.
31. Merthyr Tydfil. Careers Events. STEM Ambassadors sought to attend these events. If you can help for any time during the day I’ll forward offers to Joanne O’Keefe.
Cyfarthfa High School Tuesday 16th January - 3.00pm – 6.00pm
(running alongside Year 9 parents evening but other pupils invited to attend also. Refreshments provided)
Bishop Hedley High School – Thursday 18th January 11.30am – 6.00pm
(open to Year 9, 10 and 11 pupils in the day and then to parents from 3.30
Afon Taf School CF48 3ED 27 March 1pm – 5pm.
Parents will also attend.
32. Merthyr. STEM sessions for various ages flexible dates. Gellifaelog School Merthyr Tydfil CF47 9TJ Gellifaelog Primary is very keen to develop teachers' understanding on how to communicate and deliver engaging STEM sessions. Head Teacher Sally Williams would like teachers to gain insight into how STEM Ambassadors engage with pupils. If you can offer a session on any of these topics I will place you in contact with Sally
Forces - pushes/pulls/balancing
Light,shadows and sound
A Study of plants found in two contrasting environments:
Environmental factors that affects what grows and lives in two environments; eg. sunlight, water availability, temperature
Animals and how they are adapted to these different environments.
The daily and annual movements of the Earth and their effect on day and year length.
33. Bridgend. STEM transition day. Tuesday 6 February 2018. Bryntirion Comprehensive School Bridgend CF31 1 QR. The school are seeking sessions on any STEM topic during the day. 8 sessions of 25 mins each delivered to visiting Yr 6 pupils. An interesting and somewhat interactive session would be ideal. You are also welcome to come and support my session as an alternative.
34. Bridgend. STEM Club visit. Bryntirion Comprehensive School Bridgend CF31 1 QR. Any Monday 3pm – 4pm. STEM Ambassador visits keenly sought for a new STEM Club. The teacher welcomes any topic or a careers insight into your work. I’ll forward your available dates to Helen Workman.
35. Renishaw Greenpower Goblin Race 2018. Renishaw Miskin (weekend date tbc) This very successful event welcomes Ambassador support each year. If you would like to be involved in next years event as a judge or team mentor please contact email@example.com.
36. Rogerstone Newport. Brownies sessions. Any Tuesday 5.30pm - 7pm. Mount Pleasant Primary Rogerstone NP10 0AB. Brownie leader Sarah Vincent would love to host STEM Ambassadors for interactive STEM sessions / talks on any topic. The group meet on Tuesday evenings. Brownies are 7 - 10 years old.
37. Barry. Science Week visits. 12 - 16 March (day of choice) Cadoxton Primary Victoria Park CF63 2JS. Teacher Hannah Cogbill is very keen to host STEM Ambassador visits during science week. Any topic or workshop would be welcome. You can select the age appropriate year group for your visit. Interactive or a practical demonstration would be very welcome.
1. Swansea. Mock Interview Sessions STEM Ambassadors are keenly sought for Mock Interviews. Any hours from 9am – 3pm
- Dylan Thomas School 6 February
- Bishopston School 27,28, February, 1March
- STEM – FRENCH – SPANISH DYLAN THOMAS COMMUNITY SCHOOL JOHN ST COCKETT, SKETTY SWANSEA SA3 0FR
- Teacher Lucy Griffin is seeking a STEM Ambassador with French or Spanish language skill
- Yr 7 pupils study Spanish with French introduced in Yr 8
- The session would be focussed on Careers but with Maths/ Science/ Engineering /Tech with modern foreign languages.
- Chances to use language skills not only abroad but also in Wales
- Many of her students are from a quite insular background, low socio-economic status, many with lower literacy skills than the national average.
- Ideally 4 sessions with a lunch break between sessions
This would be a great opportunity for these pupils as they are from an area of Swansea with less contact to STEM professionals.
- Llanelli. STEM inspiration for Girls. Bryngwyn School Llanelli. SA14 8RP. Any Monday morning to March 2018. Teacher Francesca Fair is seeking STEM Ambassadors to inspire and motivate her Yr 9 girls with a stimulating career story. Girls are mixed ability group good students, but need to raise ambitions with careers paths.
- Swansea Careers Fair. 16 February Pentrehafod School. Ambassadors will set up a stand, students will walk around and seek advice about career options etc
- Neath. GATE student session. Neath Port Talbot College Dwr-y-Felin Road, Neath,SA10 7RF any Wednesdays (12.30-1.30) or Fridays (11.30-12.30) STEM ambassador request for a visit Neath Port Talbot College Sam Oxley is seeking a stretch and challenge activity on a scientific issue; they are GATE students and have a high GCSE profile and able to cope with some challenging ideas. Most take chemistry and all them undertake at least one science subject.
- Neath Dwr-y-Felin School SA10 9RE Carousel event 8 January 08.30 - 11.10am. Careers Carousel event where pupils will visit a variety of STEM Ambassadors / Employer stands.
- Swansea Engineering for Year 6. Dunvant Primary SA2 7SN. Deputy Teacher and curriculum lead Tina Davies is seeking an experience of engineering for Year 6. They have seen Lab in a Lorry for Secondary Pupils and would like a mini version of hands on activity. Gears and Fluids are of interest.
- Swansea. Science Club visits: STEM / Coding. Pontarrdulais School SA1 8PD. Any Thursday 12.15pm – 1.00pm. Teacher Michelle Wood is seeking Ambassadors for problem solving science or activities. Pupils are also learning Scratch as part of coding. 20 pupils KS2/ KS3 attend
- Ceredigion. Llandysul. Level 3 Medical Science. Physiology measurements sessions. Any dates Spring term.Ysgol Bro Teifi SA44 4JL
Teacher Rachel Rees is seeking a session of sessions to cover:
pure tone audiometry,
tympanometry tuning fork tests,
intraocular pressure measurements.
- Fishguard. 1 and 2 March Lab in a Lorry Ysgol Bro Gwaun, Heol Dyfed, Fishguard, SA65 9DT.
One of the most popular and well supported activities. Travel expenses are offered for distances hard to reach. STEM Ambassadors are trained on the experiments before the session .All STEM Ambassador backgrounds are welcome. Pupils are KS3 level . You will be working with a team from Lab in a Lorry alongside other STEM Ambassadors. Travel expenses on offer To find out more: www.labinalorry.org.uk
Teacher Abbie Davies is keen to source expertise for help with any of these topics:
- Pembrokeshire. Science sessions. Any dates possible. Holy Name Primary Fishguard. SA65 9DF
Class One (3 and 4yrs old)
Term 2 - Ourselves
Term 3 – Transport
Class Three (5 and 6 years old)
Term 2 - how humans affect the local environment eg litter, water pollution, noise pollution
Term 3 - How things work - sound and light
Class Four - (7 and 8 years old)
Term 2 - The Sustainable Earth
Term 3 - The Human Body
Class Five - (9 and 10 years old)
Term 2 - Forces/Electricity
Term 3 - Interdependence of Organisms
- Airbus Open Day Save the date! All invited
Airbus Craft Apprenticeship Open Evening
Date: Thursday, 25 January 2018
Time: From 17:00 to 19:00
Venue: Coleg Cambria, Kelsterton Rd, Connah’s Quay, Deeside, Clwyd CH5 4BR
Airbus invites students, parents and anyone interested in Craft Apprenticeships to join them at Open Evening. No need to book a place - just turn up!
- Bangor. St Gerards School. Tamzin Pritchard runs her STEM Club on a Tuesday from 3pm - 4pm. Tamzin had visits from STEM Ambassadors last term and would now be pleased to have new visits on any STEM topic. If you can't attend the STEM Club Tamzin can arrange other times and days during the week. As usual interactive engaging topics are welcome!
- Lab in a Lorry One of the most popular and well supported activities. Travel expenses are offered for distances hard to reach. STEM Ambassadors are trained on the experiments before the session .All STEM Ambassador backgrounds are welcome. Pupils are KS3 level . You will be working with a team from Lab in a Lorry alongside other STEM Ambassadors. Travel expenses on offer To find out more: www.labinalorry.org.uk
- 12 January St Brigid’s School, Mold Road, Denbigh, LL16 4BH.
- 23, 24 January Ysgol Glan Y Mor & Ysgol Botwnnog,Pwllheli, LL53 5NU
- 13 – 19 March Hub event at Bangor University
- 20,21,22, 23 March Ysgol y Berwen & Ysgol Moelwyn, hub event at Bala.
Joanna Thomas and Martin Pike would be grateful for any help to run an after school coding club for years 3 and 4. The pupils will be using www.j2e.com (very much like Scratch) for basic coding and Crumble components to build and program robots.
- Bangor. Code Club support. Ysgol Y Faenol Bangor LL57 2NN. Thursdays from Mid January 3.30pm – 4.30pm.
Apprenticeship /Technician careers routes talks. Lesley Lloyd is seeking to recruit a bank of ambassadors who are able to deliver talks on apprenticeships an alternative to university.
- North East Schools various.
Lesley Lloyd is seeking STEM Ambassadors for a series of talks on their work. To be delivered at a local school convenient to you.
- North East Schools various. Employer talks.
Careers Wales are inviting pupils from Years 10, 11, 12 and 13 from all Flintshire and Wrexham secondary schools. STEM Ambassadors are invited with displays, stands and table top discussion opportunities with the pupils. The aim of the event is to increase and enhance pupil awareness of the different opportunities and vocational career routes available to them.
- Wrexham. Choose your Future Festival. 31 January 2018. Sports Centre Glyndwr University
- Wrexham Yr 11 Mock Interviews 18 January am 2018. St Josephs School LL13 7EN. STEM Ambassadors needed to act as Interviewers giving feedback on performance and CVs.
- Wrexham Yr 11 Mock Interviews 26 January am 2018. Rhosnesni High School LL13 9ET. STEM Ambassadors needed to act as Interviewers giving feedback on performance and CVs.
If you are interested in joining the careers fair, please let me know. Katrien will send additional information nearer the time and I will ask you how many will attend from your institution and what your specific requirements are for your exhibition. Unfortunately they cannot reimburse your expenses but can offer you lunch + tea and coffee breaks. firstname.lastname@example.org
- Bangor School of Ocean Science fair Weds 14 March 2018.
STEM Ambassador Katrien Van Landeghem is organising thel Ocean Sciences careers fair Menai Bridge, on the theme of "Sustainable Resources”
- Powys 2018 Careers Festival. 7 March 2018 Royal Welsh Showground, Builth Wells. STEM Ambassadors /Employers are welcome to attend with a stand or practical activity at this well supported event. To register for space please contact Jo Shiel: email@example.com There will be an opportunity to sponsor the event this year, if you are interested please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
- Lab in a Lorry tours through Wales. One of the most popular and well supported activities. STEM Ambassadors can sign up to access the schedule and opportunities to join in at a school near you. Travel expenses are offered for distances hard to reach.
STEM Ambassadors are trained on the experiments before the session .All STEM Ambassador backgrounds are welcome. You will be working with a team from Lab in a Lorry alongside other STEM Ambassadors. www.labinalorry.org.uk
Please contact me to be placed on the volunteer list.
- Abergavenny. Careers Fair King Henry VIII. 15 February 6pm – 8pm. STEM Ambassadors will meet Yrs 9 – 13 pupils. In order to enable young people and members of the community to feel comfortable about asking questions and seeking advice the arrangements will be as informal as possible. In Upper School Hall each business will have two chairs and a table labelled with the business name and category and there will be a similar arrangement for universities and colleges.
- Mid Wales Girl Guiding Cymru Broneirion Llandinam SY17 5DE. Science Week. Mon 12 - Thursday 15 March 2018.
Jo Woodall is planning a week based on STEM for next year's Guides Week. The sessions will run from 10am - 2.30 pm each day. Jo would welcome STEM Ambassador vitals during the week to offer a session. A session would run for 50 minutes. 15 pupils per workshop. Pupils will be KS2. Female STEM Ambassadors who would like to help for the 4 days will be offered accommodation and expenses. If you would like to support I will place you in contact with Jo.
a) Rainforests year 3
- Llangorse Brecon. Primary science sessions. Dates flexible. Llangors Primary LD3 7UB. Teacher Meg is eager to host STEM Ambassadors for any of these topics:
b) Sea and Marine Life – year 4
c) Sustainability – year 5
Much appreciate volunteers in this small rural school
- Powys. Renewable energy / Biomass/ Wind Turbine session. Llangynidr Primary School Crickhowell NP8 1LU. Teacher Claire Watson is seeking an Ambassador to present workshop or talk on either Renewables, Biomass, Alternative energy.
Kelly Holmes Science teacher from Crickhowell High has applied for a Kick Start Grant. They would like to hold a circus of events for Year 7 and Year 8. They seek 5 separate workshops/activities/talks during the 2 days. Each activity would be allocated an hour. Pupils will be from the 5 cluster schools. 30 pupils per session.
- Crickhowell Crickhowell High School STEM Circus. Monday 12th March and Tuesday 13th 2018
The event will include a Science fair in the evening where pupils can display their work to parents and win prizes.
They are applying for funding for resources, so some expenses will be available. My contact is email@example.com