Schools STEM Advisory Network
See Science is your STEM Learning contract holder, to manage the Schools STEM Advisory Network and for the local management of the STEM Ambassadors Programme for Wales.
2017 STEM Learning Award – now closed
Applications are now closed for entries, and successful nominees will be informed in early September.www.stem.org.uk/stem-inspiration-awards
See Science provides impartial advice and guidance on STEM Enhancement and Enrichment (E&E) activities, including:
- STEM Clubs
- Links with STEM Ambassadors
- Activities featured in the STEM Directories
- Other regional and local provision.
We aim to help schools and colleges identify the best opportunities to inspire their young people in STEM subjects – and ultimately to consider careers in this area.
Free advice and guidance for teachers
- Help to identify STEM opportunities to inspire pupils, for example:
- visits to museums and science centres or other places of interest with STEM-related educational programmes
- classroom and extracurricular activities, such as those listed in the STEM directories and other regional and local provision
- collapsed curriculum days
- funding sources
- STEM Clubs
- Put schools and organisations together to develop Engagement and Enrichment (E&E) activities
- Provide information on National schemes - for example, Nuffield Science Bursary and the British Science Association CREST Awards
- Share best practice
- Provide STEM Ambassadors – see below.
- Are you confused about the array of STEM schemes available?
- Are you interested in arranging a visit or setting up an after schools club?
- Would you like to find out more about the STEM Ambassadors programme?
We can help you by providing impartial advice. Contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org or on 029 2934 4727.
How you can help us
You can help us to provide impartial advice and guidance on STEM Enhancement and Enrichment (E&E) activities by filling in our online feedback form on the E&E activities that you have organised.
Back to topSTEM Ambassadors
STEM Ambassadors are volunteers from a wide range of jobs and backgrounds who are passionate about inspiring young people to pursue science, technology, engineering and mathematics (STEM) studies and careers. Over 30,000 volunteers represent more than 2,500 employers across the UK.
The STEM Ambassador programme is coordinated nationally by STEM Learning. See Science manages the STEM Ambassador programme for Wales.
STEM Ambassadors can get involved in a number of diverse and innovative projects including:
- Supporting the curriculum by linking it to a real-world context
- Providing Continual Professional Development for teachers
- Helping to provide support for activities such as Science and Engineering clubs
- Helping with school competitions, events and awards
- Offering mentoring and careers talks
- Acting as a role model to young learners
- Providing work-based placements for teachers and students.
The STEM Ambassador programme is a FREE resource to teachers to help enhance and enrich STEM related activities through links with the 'real world'. To find out more and to register follow this link.
How can I book a STEM Ambassador?
You can request a STEM Ambassador here.
All requests are compiled and our STEM Ambassadors are contacted in the first week of each month. They then contact us if they are interested and available. The teacher and STEM Ambassador are then emailed so they can finalise arrangements. We suggest a minimum of six weeks' notice.
How much does it cost?
STEM Ambassadors are volunteers so are available free of charge. Schools are expected, however, to provide materials and resources for activities.
Are there any terms and conditions?
If you work with a STEM Ambassador you will be expected to:
- Reply to correspondence from STEM Ambassadors who have agreed to work with you
- Make sure they are well-looked after when they visit your school
- Ensure they are not left in charge of young people
- Provide feedback after any STEM Ambassador visit. A short questionnaire will be sent to you when a STEM Ambassador's interest is confirmed.